Melton site

Tuesday, 28-Jun-2022
Home>Housing Options Advice

Housing Options Advice


Other Housing Options

There is a high demand for Council and Housing Association properties in the Melton Borough, therefore, most home seekers will wait some considerable time before they can bid successfully for a social rented home. You may, therefore, want to explore other housing solutions, which may be faster and meet your needs in the short or long term. This section provides you with a number of different housing options. To help you find a home that's right for you we offer a range of free advice through our Housing/Customer Services. For contact details click How to Contact Us.

If you think you might become homeless let us know as soon as possible. We can negotiate on your behalf with a relative, landlord, or mortgage lender to delay or prevent you becoming homeless. Most homelessness is preventable if early action is taken. However, if it is not possible to help you stay where you are we would look at the housing options available to you.

Private Renting

The Council works in partnership with some private landlords in the Melton Borough to meet housing needs. For most people this is the quickest way of finding a home.

Most landlords require a deposit as well as the first month's rent in advance. The Council's rent deposit scheme may help with part or all of these costs, depending on your circumstances. Properties can be found from letting agents, individual landlords, newspaper advertisements, notices in shops and websites. You could also talk to your friends, family or workmates.

You may be able to make a claim for Housing Benefit, to help with your housing costs if you are on a low income and many landlords will accept Housing Benefit. 

Don't forget, by moving into a privately rented home you will not affect your eligibility to be considered for Council or Housing Association housing in the future as you can remain on the housing register. Therefore if you are sharing where you live now and decide to move to your own privately rented home you will normally have the same priority.

Click How to Contact Us for contact details.

Buying a Property

Homebuy is a scheme funded by central government and is designed to help people buy their own homes. The mortgage payments will be lower than if you buy on the open market.  In Leicestershire HomeBuy is run by East Midlands Housing Association. For more details and how to apply click Homebuy. Homebuy enables you to be considered for properties becoming available across Leicestershire.

Many people even in comparatively well-paid employment find that they can't afford to buy a home in some parts of Leicestershire. Although there are different ways of getting a first step on the property ladder the most usual is Shared Ownership.

The shared ownership scheme enables you to buy part of a property, with a housing association or the local authority owning the remaining share. Rent is paid for the share that you don't own.  Property types range from 1-bedroom flats to 3 bedroom houses. The minimum amount you can purchase varies but it is usually between 30% and 50%.

The initial costs are broadly the same as if you were purchasing on the open market. You will therefore need enough savings to employ a solicitor, commission a survey, pay stamp duty and mortgage fees. It is also advisable to have enough savings for a mortgage deposit of 5% of the amount that you will be borrowing.

To apply for HomeBuy or other Shared Ownership schemes it will be an advantage for you to keep your Housing Application with the council even if you are placed in the Low Housing need band. This will mean you can be nominated by the Council to buy a home.

To search for affordable homes to buy click Homebuy East Midlands and use the Property Search button at the top of the page.

Right to Buy

Secure tenants of council properties can apply to buy their home under the Right to Buy scheme at a price lower than the full market value. You must have spent 5 years as a public sector tenant before you can apply if your first public sector tenancy was created on or after 18th January 2005. If your first public sector tenancy commenced before this date you can apply after 2 years. If you qualify to buy your home under the Right to Buy you will be eligible for a discount on the price of your home, which will depend on the length of time you have spent as a tenant. For more information click Right to Buy.

Housing Association tenants of properties built using funding made available after April 1997 may also be able to buy their home under the Right to Acquire. You must have spent 5 years as a public sector tenant before you can apply if your first public sector tenancy was created on or after 18th January 2005. If your first public sector tenancy commenced before this date you can apply after 2 years. For more information click Right to Acquire

Mutual Exchange

For more information about exchanging homes with another Council or Housing Association tenant please contact Customer Services on 01664 502502



Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy