Melton site

Tuesday, 28-Jun-2022
Home>Who Can Use the Service

Who Can Use the Service


Who can apply?  

Anyone over the age of 16 can apply to join the register.  You do not have to live in the Melton Borough to apply but for most vacancies priority will be given to people who have got a connection to the borough.

You need to complete an application form and have it assessed.  Apply online here

The application covers applications for Council or Housing Association rented homes, low cost home ownership homes (HomeBuy) or both.   

Before your application can be approved you will need to provide the following documents:

  • Proof of identity for all household members (e.g. passports, birth certificates)
  • Proof of current address (e.g. recent gas or electricity bill)
  • Evidence of your right to reside in the UK if you are not a British Citizen
    (e.g. passport and other relevant documents from the Home Office)

Before you are offered a property you will be asked to provide further information to support your application. You will be advised of the documents to provide and when to provide them.

Who cannot apply?

You cannot use this service if you have not completed an application and been accepted onto the housing register.

There are also some people who will not, by law, be allowed to join the housing register. These are:

  • Some people who are subject to Immigration Control under the 1996 Asylum and Immigration Act
  • People from abroad who are not subject to immigration control but who are not habitually resident in the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland
  • People (including members of their household) whose previous behaviour makes them unsuitable to be a tenant.

For more information contact Customer Services on 01664 502502.

Site powered by Abritas  |  Cookie policy